4/6/08

Xoopit relieves inbox chaos

After reading Brian Solis' post about Xoopit, I downloaded the beta Firefox plugin for Gmail that allows users to easily find and navigate e-mailed files, photos and videos. The application categorizes photos by the source - Flickr, Picasa, Shutterfly or Kodak - and documents according to date, file name, type and size.

Because I spend the majority of my day in front of a computer with my Gmail window open, it's beneficial to have this 1-click, easy access all in one spot. Xoopit is being coined Inbox 2.0 because once you "discover" your e-mail attachments, they may easily be shared with friends via e-mail, Facebook or a blog post.

A few days ago, this "virtual file system" came in handy as I began putting together important documents for next year's PRSSA president. Rather than sifting through hundereds of e-mails, I simply used the Files menu, typed in PRSSA-related contacts and terms, and up popped the relevant documents. After elections, I can click on the new president's name and "share." Convenient.

Aside from the ease of use, the Xoopit interface is attractive, and it makes the e-mail experience more fun.

My only gripe... I was hesitant to relinquish my Gmail username and password to the application. However, Gmail is already stored on Google's servers, and even if I delete an e-mail, it's not likely that it is permanently deleted. I'm sure if someone (for some reason) actually wanted to access my e-mail, they could. Xoopit has responded to these worries here and on their blog.

Xobni, "inbox" spelled backwards, recently created a similar application for Outlook.

Who's using Xoopit? Xobni? I'm curious to hear what you think.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I want to try this. It says that the Beta group is full...boo. I'll have to see if I can try Xobni. I'd love a better way to organize the mess that is my work Outlook box.